Tuesday 19 September 2017

An open letter to Matthew Vaughn

Image courtesy of 20thCenturyFoxUK
Dear Mr. Vaughn,

My name is Luca and I have been one of your biggest supporters and a former diehard fan of the Kingsman franchise, and since the first trailer was revealed in April this year for the upcoming follow-up to that incredible first movie, I have wanted to be excited, but could not for one reason. And now, my reason is seemingly, justified.

You introduced us to this amazing world that we all fell in love with, and some amazing characters like Eggsy, Harry, Merlin, and the subject of this open letter, Roxy.

People criticise the first film for some sexism, a lot I can understand where they're coming from, like how Roxy is cut out of the final action scene despite out of her and Eggsy, she actually was the official Kingsman agent. The other one being Eggsy being offered anal sex if he saved the world by the Swedish princess, and I have defended you with these choices Mr. Vaughn, but now I can't.

My fear ever since the first trailer was revealed back in April was that Roxy was killed in the attack on the Kingsman HQ, since we didn't see her past that point in any of the marketing and the fact that she never had her own character poster - or she eventually did after the uproar from social media but using a photo from the first film - and I held out hope because I believed in what you would do would be right, and I was a fool!!

ROXY DIES IN THE NEW KINGSMAN MOVIE!!!

Matthew Vaughn, I reserve this statement for only when it is really necessary, I am so disappointed in you.

Roxy was such an amazing character with so much potential, who has been thrown in the refrigerator so that Eggsy is motivated to go after the big baddie Poppy.

You know, as I am writing this, I am constantly checking Twitter to see if I'm an idiot and it turns out she isn't killed off but from what I have heard from reviewers that I watch on YouTube and from what I have read, she is. Also, don't give me that bullshit that Roxy can be resurrected like Harry has been for the new film, Colin Firth is a name that sells movie tickets and that's why he's back, Sophie Cookson isn't.

On the other hand, this could all turn out to be Cookson's call. In which case, I am disappointed in her but I very much doubt that it was her call, though I won't rule it out. But I can't see that being the case.

I rewatched Kingsman multiple times, I saw so much potential in this franchise because of the characters and lore, I have even written off to games companies, trying to get in touch with Millarworld at Netflix to try and push for video games and a TV show of the Kingsman. I even had a perfect voice actress in mind to voice Roxy being Cara Theobold, I had not thought of anyone else who could voice the rest of the characters!

I even had the idea for the third Kingsman film to begin with Eggsy and Roxy going to an F1 Grand Prix in London as a part of Lewis Hamilton's VIP guests (Since I went to Huntsman and saw Lewis had his suits made there). There they meet the villain played by Leonardo DiCaprio and a terror attack happens in which Eggsy and Roxy are forced to go into hiding when they're exposed and falsely accused of the attack.

Just mentioned it briefly there, I did go to Huntsman and I met Carol Pierce, and she promised me that she would forward every idea I had about Kingsman to you, and to be honest I didn't want to be too comfortable with that. I obviously heard nothing back from you, and I don't hold that against you but the least you could do is respect the audience.

I obviously can't sit here and expect you to compromise your artistic vision for the sake of appealing to the audience, because nothing coherent would ever work. But at what point did you sit down with your pen and paper or your laptop, decide to kill off Roxy and for us to be okay with that?!

Being a fan of something or someone doesn't mean you have to be okay with everything they do, be a yes man and let said entity walk on through life making constant mistakes, if anything we should call them out on their shit. That's exactly what I am doing with you.

I bet once you heard about the constant uproar on Twitter with people demanding more Roxy did you think that you had made a fatal error? That the marketing team had to pull an old image of Roxy from the first film to give her a character poster because nobody would fucking shut up about her.

Again, you can't resurrect her now like you've done with Harry and Charlie. Harry was your only card to play, that if you kept resurrecting dead characters that the audience would realise "Why bother getting emotionally invested, they'll be alive in the sequel anyway!". Why do you think that Marvel Cinematic Universe movies don't grip their audience anymore, and that people are waiting for Pietro, Yondu and The Ancient One to be resurrected in Infinity War?

The people I feel sorry for the most here, are the ones who were completely oblivious to this possibility, the Sophie Cookson fan accounts who are excited to see their woman in action to then only be buried in the rubble all burnt whilst Eggsy saves the day.

I have been sleepless at night because I was worried for Roxy's fate, and I refuse to watch this movie since my worst fear has been realised.

You're going to have some explaining to do when the internet attacks you for killing off the sole Kingsman woman, and they'll be justified in their actions when they say you're sexist. I don't care how much it's about Eggsy, why did you even bother introducing Roxy? She didn't even exist in the original Secret Service comic by Mark Millar so you could have just not bothered and the world would keep spinning.

But you had to hold this metaphorical piece of chicken over your dog's face to only throw it out the window and tell us to sit down and shut up. I am not exaggerating, I am seeing the live feed right now on my Twitter and it's full of "If they kill Roxy in Kingsman, I am not watching". Looks like you've just lost a huge chunk of your audience!

You are a disgrace, you're irredeemable and indefensible, I am so disappointed that you decided to do this and I cannot bring myself to support your work again. Don't even bother bringing Roxy back, you had a good thing going and you fucking ruined it by killing off such a great character even when you already had a lot of potential by bringing back a seemingly deceased character in Harry.

I will not support anything you are attached to in the future, and it saddens me that it has come to this.

Your former supporter,
Luca.

P.S. We, will, NOT, shut up about this.

#JusticeForRoxy
#BoycottKingsman

No comments:

Post a Comment