Wednesday 25 July 2018

Why I'm excited for Pokémon: Let's Go

Image courtesy of https://twitter.com/pokejungle
Hello you, my name is Luca but you can call me Luca. If you saw my last blog post, you'll see that I am going to talk about the upcoming Pokémon titles, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, and I am very excited for these games. I say games as in plural, but the truth is I won't be getting the Pikachu game, because Eevee is the one I am wanting.

As you all know, Eevee is my favourite Pokémon and the second I heard about this game, I knew I had to have it. Thankfully, the games are being released only just short of my birthday so that's my present sorted, and Let's Go, Eevee! will be my first proper Pokémon game since the Generation Four Sinnoh games. I have unsuccessfully played Fire-Red, Soul-Silver and Heart-Gold, played through a bit of XD: Gales of Darkness, beaten Sapphire, and also dabbled with a few non traditional games such as Battle Revolution, Ranger and Mystery Dungeon.

Bare with me on this, I realise I am not talking about Let's Go, Eevee! just yet but you'll see why I am excited for it once I've given you some context.

In terms of the core games, the only ones I really was able to play were the Sinnoh games despite the fact I somehow managed to beat Sapphire, and I quickly realised I had become way too accustomed to my Diamond/Pearl/Platinum teams and therefore couldn't break out of it and reset for a new game, building from the ground up. I'll be honest, I used Action Replay on the Sinnoh games and yes it did mean I got all my Pokémon to level 100 but when I got Platinum, it went deeper.

I learned a tip where if you give your Pokémon these potions which boost stats, these include: Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and HP. I quickly realised you couldn't boost all the stats, I'd end up boosting all of them to the maximum with my unlimited items, then I'd feed one HP boost to a Pokémon and then I'd be unable to give them anymore. I then began exploiting my Action Replay for other purposes.

The natures of your Pokémon impact on their stats, and because of the Pokétch allowing me to type numbers in so I got Pokémon with certain natures, I would almost always get myself Adamant and Modest nature Pokémon. The reason being, Adamant nature Pokémon's Attack statistic is increased at the expense of Special Attack, and Modest is the other way round, so as a result any Pokémon with either nature would get their foe damaging moves to be whichever respective stat was increased as a result of their nature.

TLDR I became a bit crazy with statistics and honestly, I still can't quite be at ease with knowing had something played out another way, my Pokémon could have been more powerful. This is why I never really committed to playing any more of the games after Generation Four, but only now am I interested again. Here's why.

Okay yes first things first, Eevee is the starter Pokémon, my favourite Pokémon, that's obvious enough. I got XD Gales of Darkness as well because Eevee is the starter in that as well, I hold no shame in saying how much I adore Eevee. But it isn't the only reason that I am getting back into playing the Pokémon games, and as you saw that I had a lot of my Pokémon stat boosted like crazy, and I am looking forward to not treating them like just battling machines in Let's Go, Eevee!.

From what I have seen, the Let's Go games are very heavily focused on treating your Pokémon like partners. You can have your Pikachu on your shoulder or your Eevee on your head, you can have any other Pokémon that are with you outside their Pokéball, even being able to ride on the back of bigger ones like Charizard, Arcanine, Lapras and Onix. You can even dress and customise your partner Pikachu or Eevee, giving them cute clothes or frankly from what I've seen, god-awful hairstyles, of which I'll be doing none of this and leaving my Eevee as is.

The Let's Go games are inspired by Pokémon Yellow in regards to the partner Pokémon, in which case back then was a Pikachu and now you have a choice between a Pikachu and an Eevee. Back in those Generation One games, you didn't have Pokémon natures and also abilities to deal with, which is amazing news to me.

If you know Pokémon, you'll know that Pikachu's ability is Static (when a physical Attack hits Pikachu, the striking opponent has the potential to become inflicted with paralysis), with its hidden ability being Lightning Rod (when in a multi battle, any electric attack from the apposing team if in range, is redirected towards the Pokémon with this ability). Both are useful abilities, Static more so than Lightning Rod in my opinion, though Eevee's ability choices aren't as good.

Until Generation four, Eevee's only ability was Run Away (When in a wild battle, no matter the level of the opposing Pokémon, you were able to get away from the wild Pokémon) and in a trainer battle, it's absolutely useless. Thankfully when I bought into Pokémon at Gen 4, Eevee's other ability is Adaptability (Increases the already increased power of moves that are the same type as the user) which is a great ability and my Eevee in those Gen 4 games always had Adaptability. In future games, Eevee could have the hidden ability Anticipation (Triggered a warning incase the apposing Pokémon had a move that was super effective, in Eevee's case, a Fighting type move would be super effective against a normal type), but Adaptability was always the best one to have.

Along with the Pokémon natures, having the correct ability always bogged me down so not having these things to really impact against the stats mean I don't have to bother about any of it. This means I can focus more on training them, which I don't mind doing of course, I just got all my Pokémon to level 100 so I could take on the Battle Frontier in Platinum with all the maximum stats.

Oh speaking of stats, another thing about Pokémon Yellow was that the Pikachu that accompanied you could not be evolved into a Raichu, and it seems that the Let's Go games will follow this up with the partner Pikachu and Eevee being unable to evolve as well. This comes as grave news to the majority of people looking to get the games, because Eevee is as we all know is the Evolution Pokémon.

We all know the Eeveelutions. Vaporeon the Water-type, Jolteon the Electric-type and Flareon the Fire-type all introduced in generation one that all evolve via evolution stones being used on them, Espeon the Psychic-type and Umbreon the Dark-type that were introduced in generation two that evolve via maximising friendship and time of day resulting in either Espeon during the day and Umbreon at night. In generation four we got the Grass-type Leafeon and Ice-type Glaceon which Eevee evolves into if you are in a location with a Moss Rock or Ice Rock, and then finally in generation six the Fairy-type Sylveon was introduced which Eevee evolves into with two affection heart points and if it knows a Fairy-type move.

So with all that in mind, along with your Pikachu not being able to evolve into Raichu, your Eevee won't be able to evolve either. That's unfortunate for those who wanted to, for me however I am completely fine with it! I never evolved my Eevee in the earlier games, I wouldn't want to evolve mine in Let's Go, Eevee! either. I know however that I am the minority.

With that being said though, since pre-evolved forms of Pokémon have lower stats than their evolved forms, I am aware that apparently the partner Pikachu and Eevee's stats will be increased so it can compete with fully evolved Pokémon which is great news to me. I look forward not only to battle with Eevee and the rest of my potential Pokémon, but also bonding with them since I am seeing that you can play with them as well!

The easy going nature of these games are intended to attract a more child audience, with the games ditching wild Pokémon battles in favour of Pokémon Go style Pokéball throwing, and also there will be a system in place to transfer Pokémon caught on Go over to Let's Go. I never caught the Pokémon Go bug when it first was released, but it has made me consider it to a base level. Also for another reason. (Since writing this, I have started playing Pokémon Go)

There is this task set upon you by the Pokémon professors you get your starter from, to complete the Pokédex, where you catch all the Pokémon available. I never managed to do this.. at least legitimately.. but can you blame me? I had 493 Pokémon to deal with across multiple games, I wasn't going to invest all that time to getting 493 Pokémon across all those games I had to buy. But I've always thought to myself if there was ever a game that focused on the 151 original Pokémon, I would dedicate myself to catching all of them in that game.

The Let's Go games look set to do that with it being set in Kanto, apparently we won't have access to any of the Pokémon past generation one so even if you could evolve Eevee, it'd only be into Flareon, Vaporeon or Jolteon. I have however been hearing reports that of the Pokémon available in the Let's Go games, we may be able to have their Alolan forms too? (In the Pokémon generation seven games set in the Alola region, many Pokémon that originated from previous generations have different variations in these games, such as Ninetales which has been a Fire-Type in all the other games, you can get an Ice-Fairy type Ninetales in Alola)

Which begs the question, do we have Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves? To be fair, if we don't have natures and abilities, we probably won't get any of those so if the game is set in Kanto, how will we be able to access Alolan form versions of these Pokémon? Honestly I just want the game to be as simple as possible, these gimmicks have really been confusing to me. Mega evolutions, Z-Moves, Alolan Forms, I'd rather it be simple and so far, that's what Let's Go is set to be.

So yeah, those are all my reasons as to why I am excited for Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! and it's certainly going to be a welcome return back to the Pokémon franchise for me. If any of you have any tips for me when I do get the game, I'm more than open to hearing anything, and I hope my Eevee and I get to battle some of you online.

Alright! Thank you very much for reading. If you've enjoyed reading this article and want to stick around for more, either follow me on Twitter @TheLucaFormat or put your email into the 'Follow By Email' option to have my articles sent straight to your inbox. Hope to see you all back here soon.

So until we meet again,
Luca.
Image courtesy of www.serebii.net

1 comment: