Sunday 25 December 2016

The Christmas Day Truce of 1914

Image courtesy of www.wikipedia.org
Hello you, the name is Luca but you can call me Luca. Merry Christmas all of you or whatever you celebrate around this time, my Christmas day 2016 has been very typically quiet but I am not complaining, I have got a lot of what I wanted for Christmas so I'm okay.

My day has been mostly me staring at my phone, waiting for one of my favourite YouTubers Broughy1322 to hit 100,000 subscribers, and he did it! I also logged onto GTA Online to claim my free unicorn mask which I am very much pleased with, and also after the last few days with helping my friends get money on GTA and mainly my friend Ahmed so he could get his classic Porsche 911.

But it was after I had just been to my Granny's house for Christmas dinner that I got the idea to write this quickly, I don't know if this will be long but I just wanted to write this quick, I don't want to be away from my parents long enough for them to be like "Come down here now you unsocial little shit". Anyway back on track, the thing I want to talk about is the Christmas Day Truce.

T'was the Christmas period 1914, the British soldiers who are in the trenches in France, they were promised to be home by Christmas after the war broke out. The same was told to the German soldiers, and the many months of sitting down in these trenches, ready to shoot an 'enemy' because our governments were at war.

The night descends upon them, and the British soldiers hear the Germans singing Stille Nacht in harmony, the Brits join in with the same song Silent Night and what happens the following morning is perhaps the most symbolic moment of peace and humanity amidst the most violent events of human history. One soldier pops up from behind the British trench, a German soldier is ready to pull the trigger but instead, stand down.

Everyone from the British side and the German side leave their trenches, they exchange season greetings, gifts, food, there was even games of football played between the young Nigel's and Otto's. For the first time, the Brits and Germans were seen to each other to a certain degree, as not a 'target' or any other word to make them nothing more than something to kill, but as individuals. With parents, siblings, partners, children, family back home, a humanisation of all these people, who are all humans and should always have been.

There's this nobility seen with going to war and dying for your country, and my movie I absolutely adore does illustrate this to such a great extent, Testament Of Youth. Behind the act of war, are individuals who shouldn't be reduced down to nothing but a person who lived shorter than they should have.

These men defied what they were told to do, and the unofficial truce of Christmas 102 years ago is a reminder to us all, your fellow human is just that.

2016 has been dreadful, but one thing I want all of you to remember, you have each other. All of you, please remember that and show the ones you love this Christmas, that you do. They are more to you than you should make clear if you don't do that already. That will be all everyone.

I look forward to getting back into my regular type of articles, that I hope you will all stick around to enjoy. Remember everyone, good will to you all as the British and German soldiers displayed, and we need to remind generations to come what these incredible individuals did. Thank you.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and until we meet again.
Luca.

No comments:

Post a Comment