Friday 24 June 2016

My opinion on shipping and fanfiction

Image courtesy of www.comedycake.com
Hello everyone, the name is Luca, but you can call me Luca.
 
Firstly, I have been working on putting together a cast list for my ideal movie adaptation of Queen & Country after I spoke about it in my last post, and it is taking a bit longer than I was expecting. Do look forward to it though, I want everyone's opinion on it when I do get round to completing it, but I thought I'd make this because I do have something to say about it.
 
Now I am certainly not about to say that shipping is 100% a bad thing, I'm guilty of it. Two of my mates Ash and Glyn, we jokingly ship them to create 'Glynley' (I personally preferred 'Glash'), even me and my best friend Nadine ship ourselves with each other as a laugh and we call it 'Ludine'. However, what I don't like or get is the idea that you do actually want these people to be properly together.
 
I have James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender in the picture there, now there are probably some women out there who want to see these two together, but I'll be using their X-Men co-stars Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult as an example. Lawrence and Hoult were dating (Allegedly) on and off during and inbetween the filming of the X-Men movies; First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse.
 
This never bothered me, at least from what I remember. If it meant that in the scenes where Raven and Hank (Their characters) interacted were not affected in a negative manner, it's all good. However after Days of Future Past was released, there was some toxic celebrity site (OH THAT IS A POST FOR ANOTHER DAY) that 'confirmed' that JLaw and Nick were no longer seeing each other, and I saw this screen-grab on my Instagram in the trending section.
 
Some Jennifer Lawrence fan account had posted it, and their caption was something along the lines of:
 
"Yeyy!! Now she can start seeing Josh. I am so happyyy"
 
I am probably paraphrasing but I have the main message across. She wanted Jennifer to date her Hunger Games co-star Josh Hutcherson. Unless she actually has a proper scoop on JLaw's life like she's the camera in a frickin' soap opera or a reality show, how does she know that Jen would be seeing Josh anyway?
 
This all stemming from the fact that in the Hunger Games franchise, JLaw plays the main protagonist Katniss Everdeen and Hutcherson plays one of the two possible love interests, Peeta Mellark.
 
So why is it that people cannot separate fiction and real life? I mean, that is something - bit off topic for a second - that the Hunger Games did do very well, the sensationalising of the public's view on the relationship between Katniss and Peeta, portrayed throughout the franchise and is very appropriate for what we are talking about here.
 
In the first two films, they played up their relationship for the camera and people bought it, even though they were not actually together.
 
Why do we need two famous people to be together? What if I shipped your mum with your boss? Or your dad with the head mistress at your place of education? It's mind boggling to think that we need this.
 
Now I am all for you lot creating your own stories about fictional characters. I for one love reading about Kingsman fan fiction, particularly between the characters of Eggsy and Roxy, but the second I see one about the actors who play them - Taron Egerton and Sophie Cookson - then I'll have an issue if it is portrayed in a serious manner.
 
I won't be a hypocrite though, I have been through that phase. Thomas 'TomSka' Ridgewell who is responsible for asdfmovie, and Jennifer 'ThatJennyBee' Bingham used to be together, I even used to commute with Jenny as a fan (She is lovely by the way, go look for her videos if you have not already). When they broke up, it was sad since I probably would not see videos of them in the future and it was obviously a sad time for them to have to go through, but do we need them together in order to function as a human? Should we as their fans insist on the both of them working things out for our sake?
 
It was cute to watch them of course. But it is their choice to go their separate ways and they never only got together to seem more appealing to their audience, and if there are people who do that then shame on them honestly. But I personally have never watched or associated myself with anyone who does do that so I won't talk about it.
 
I am not a high profile person, and I would not really like to be. But if I was and I had people who admired me insisting I get into a relationship with whoever, I'd joke about it but I'd pity whoever would feel like they'd be more complete as a person if they saw me and this random person holding hands or kissing etc., unless it was them because then I would totally get it..
 
So can we do ourselves a favour? I don't mind shipping, I don't mind fanfiction between fictitious individuals, but can we not insist on two real life people getting into a relationship? We would be doing the world so much good.
 
Needed to vent this out, I probably don't make sense looking back on things but this honestly always has me annoyed. Especially since I saw that comment about how the Jennifer Lawrence fan was happy that she had split with Nicholas Hoult meaning she could hook up with Josh Hutcherson.
 
Hopefully I did speak some sense at least. I really want this desire of wanting certain celebrities to date each other in real life to stop, because it's incredibly unnecessary.
 
Anyway, hope you enjoyed, please let me know what you thought down below in the comments or you can tweet me @TheLucaFormat. Will hopefully have my Queen & Country cast list up for you before Sunday, thank you for reading.

So until we meet again,
Luca.

No comments:

Post a Comment