Thursday 9 June 2016

The word 'Context' and why I appreciate it

Photo courtesy of www.brainscape.com

Hello you, thank you to the people reading this and I am glad you have decided to either click on my blog for the first time or return after my last post.

Now I'm sure you've already had a look at the title of this post and are thinking something along the lines of "What?" or maybe perhaps, something else? I don't know what you are thinking, but I'll explain.

According to Dictionary.com, the word Context means 'The parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word, or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect', and also 'The set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.'. I'll provide a link to the page for the word Context if you want to find out other things such as origin and use of it in direct speech: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/context

"So person who runs this blog.." (The name's Luca by the way) "...why are you telling us this? Are you my English teacher or some shit like that?". Possibly! Not really, I'm not an English teacher in a school or college, but I learned about the word Context from my English teacher at college.

I've just finished college completely, only just yesterday too. My English class was great, though I am bias because I was a whole heap of fun in that lesson if I do say so myself, I enjoyed it in that regard but also I did learn a lot. It was a combined subject of both AS English Language and also Literature, so for Language we had to compare texts that were pulled from books, speeches, sports commentaries, even a bunch of Twitter interactions.

Then in Literature, we were reading the entire novel of 'The Great Gatsby' and Carol Ann Duffy's 'Rapture', and in the final exam I had yesterday, we were asked to write about a scene from Gatsby and compare two poems from Rapture. In all of these, context was always a major factor.

Simply because it made sense of most things. If you take either context out of a situation or take a situation out of context (That probably means the same thing but whatever), it can make a world of difference. I have both many and few examples to prove my point, I'll go with this one.

In the X-Men movie franchise - which I fucking love by the way - we have had a bunch of good movies, great movies and unfortunately, some bad ones. I'll talk another time about why I love the X-Men movies, but for now, this.

The 2014 X-Men film 'Days of Future Past' came out, I loved it a lot. Without going into too much detail, you had Hugh Jackman's Wolverine sent back in time from the future with the characters of Professor X and Magneto played by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, to 1973 where those same two were portrayed by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.

Bare in mind, McAvoy and Fassbender had appeared three years prior in 'X-Men: First Class', which took place in 1962 and long before the first X-Men film. Wolverine's purpose in Days of Future Past' is to prevent Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique from killing Peter Dinklage's Bolivar Trask, and causing a chain reaction which will inevitably cause the extinction of both humanity and mutant kind.

If Mystique is prevented from killing Trask, it will change the timeline. Because the film takes place in 1973, before the original trilogy of films and the two Wolverine standalones, that means they are wiped out and in their place in the timeline, something else entirely.

My point is, I saw a funny YouTube comment that jokingly said "So they're purposely erasing all the bad movies so they don't count?" and I looked at it, I laughed of course and he went on to say "Why can't they just say 'Oh these ones do not count'?". I knew he was joking but I said "Well they are but it has to fit in the context of the story", or rather I would have said that if I knew what the word context meant. I cannot remember exactly what I was saying but I would have appreciated knowing the word context.

I mean, you can't have Patrick Stewart just turn to the camera and be like "Hello everyone, these films don't count but somehow these ones which are a direct consequence of the ones we say don't count towards the canon timeline, they do somehow". Like if X-Men: Origins Wolverine did not happen, how could we have X2: X-Men United? Wolverine's origin is a major part of X2: X-Men United and if X-Men: Origins Wolverine did not happen, then X2: X-Men United could not. You see my point?

Like I said before, context can make so much difference. Whether it be backing up a point, explaining the lore of a story etc., context is crucial. So I thank my English tutor Denise, for teaching me what 'Context' means, I really appreciate it. As well as other things to do with English language and literature of course!

Thank you all for reading. I was apprehensive about writing this as I felt it may come across as cheesy or cringey, but fuck it I've wrote it all out now and I'm happy with it. I also want to give a special shout out to all the friends I made in my English class, who I won't be joining for the second year and I wish them the best of luck!

Hey, perhaps this blog post could end up as an English paper in the next few years. Maybe even next year! Who knows? Most likely not but incase it does, hello to everyone in my English class! Are you doing any better? This is probably an exam when you're reading this so I'll shut up. I won't be allowed to help you, shh..!

Of course I am not so far up my own arse. I'm very self aware and know I won't be featured on the news, have my piece become that of great English writing importance just because I'm a 19 year old British guy who appreciates something other than the norm. That norm being the usual stuff like; KFC, online gaming, movies and, well I'll just leave it there.

All I hope is, that you enjoyed reading this. Hope to see you all on another post very soon.

So until we meet again,
Luca.

No comments:

Post a Comment